In our recent post , we walked readers through the many features and benefits of Carlisle SynTec’s EPDM membrane roofing. With the company’s solid history and many product offerings, there is quite a lot to appreciate about the quality their name brings. Today, we’re spotlighting and Carlisle SynTec’s TPO membrane roofing. TPO is the “largest segment in the commercial roofing industry” and for good reason. In the future, we’ll be discussing their PVC and FleeceBACK offerings as well.
TPO Basics and Benefits
Also known as thermoplastic polyolefin, TPO membranes are highly reflective and feature heat-welded seams for extra strength. Add energy-efficiency and weathering package options to the long list of features that make TPO an excellent choice for many commercial roofing projects. Professional Roofing magazine reports: “Without question, thermoplastic roof membranes have been fast-growing low-slope roofing products for more than a decade.” They go on to say that TPO membranes “can be manufactured in a wide range of colors, do not cure after exposure to the elements and remain capable of hot-air welding throughout their service lives.” Benefits of TPO membranes listed on the Carlisle SynTec website include:
- The OctaGaurd XT weathering package adds protection from higher temperatures, many kinds of weather and “UV rays and the heat that comes with them.”
- When energy-efficiency is near the top of your list of roofing priorities, TPO is a great choice (even more so for those in warmer, southern zones).
- This roofing system is available in a wide range of colors: “three standard colors and five specialty colors, which is more than any other manufacturer provides.”
- Long-term performance matters, and thanks to these thick membranes (up to 80 mils) and available warranties (as long as 30 years), you can rely on TPO for “enhanced long-term weathering characteristics.”
- The design of this thicker membrane also provides extra cooling for buildings in the summer.
Installation and Options
With more than 140 variations of TPO details available, proper installation makes all the difference in your roofing system. At Bone Dry, we are proud to be able to offer clients a full-service commercial roofing department. Our team members have handled projects across the board (nearly any size and scope). We can’t wait to meet and exceed your goals. We’ll work together on your design solution phase, followed by production and a structured close out.
- For combatting moderate winds, mechanically fastened systems make sense.
- When you need increased durability and protection from wind uplift, we recommend fully adhered systems.
- Induction welded systems “offer similar performance to mechanically fastened systems but use specially coated plates and an induction welding tool to secure both the membrane and insulation.”
Products and Accessories
TPO products and accessories include TPO – Sure-Weld®, TPO – Sure-Weld® SAT, TPO FleeceBACK® and APEEL™ Protective Film. We look forward to customizing our recommendations for your project and are confident you’ll enjoy your roofing for many years.
Make sure you partner with the best roofing company in your area. Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in Charleston, SC, Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in St. Simons, Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in Athens, GA. You can contact us today to discuss your TPO membrane roofing needs at 1-855-BONEDRY.