As we continue our commercial roofing systems series with a focus on Firestone, we are honing in on their PVC membrane roofing. We’ve also covered their EPDM membrane roofing and their TPO membrane roofing, with plans to share their metal and asphalt offerings next. Firestone touts their PVC membrane roofing as “remarkably durable and highly resistant to some of the toughest flat-roof aggressors like fire, chemicals, and hurricane-level winds.” They also cite their flexibility to cover any project. With a track record of 25+ years at Firestone, join us as we showcase the strengths of this roofing.
PVC Basics and Benefits
Introduced in the early 1960s in Germany and the United States and Canada in the 1970s, Allison Reinert for Professional Roofing magazine reports PVC (polyvinyl chloride) membranes “have the longest track record of any type of thermoplastic roof membrane.” Regarding the PVC process, Reinert writes: “PVC sheets usually are extruded, calendared or made through spread coating and typically are reinforced with glass fiber or polyester mats. The sheets usually contain stabilizers and plasticizers for increased flexibility. A few types also have a nonwoven fleece backing.” As for benefits of PVC membrane roofing systems, here are a few covered on the Firestone website and elsewhere:
- Fire-resistant and self-extinguishing
- Chemical and grease resistant
- A cool roof solution that aids in regulating building temperature and energy use (reflects sunlight and absorbs less heat)
- com states: “Probably more than any other membrane system, PVC trim from the manufacturing process can be 100 percent recycled, and post-consumer membranes are already being returned and recycled back into new membranes.”
- Performance and installation advantages
- Offered in a variety of thicknesses and widths (from 50 mil to 80 mil and 5′ to 10′ widths)
- Weldability throughout their lifetime, known for ease of repair
- InvisiWeld installation is “simpler, less disruptive to building occupants, and less costly”
- VOC-free application (PVC InvisiWeld™ System)
- Performance in hot climates “where peak loads and air conditioning are a concern”
Installation and Options
Our full-service commercial roofing department handles a wide range of roofing projects (any size and complexity). After the initial contact, we move through our design solution phase, into production, and through our structured close out procedures. We are here to ensure the finished product exceeds your expectations and would love to bring your vision to life.
Application methods vary by PVC roofing type, such as mechanically attached (PVC InvisiWeld™ System), adhered with Firestone PVC Water Based Bonding Adhesive, I.S.O Spray R or Twin Jet foam adhesives, or mechanically attached (PVC XR membrane). Firestone PVC doesn’t require seam adhesives, tapes or caulks.
Products and Accessories
- Firestone PVC
- Firestone PVC InvisiWeld™
- Firestone PVC XR
- PVC Accessories
Make sure you partner with the best roofing company in your area. Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in Charleston, SC, Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in St. Simons, Bone Dry Roofing, locally owned and operated in Athens, GA. You can contact us today to discuss your PVC membrane roofing needs at 1-855-BONEDRY.