Metal Roofing Companies Charleston | Everything You Need to Know About Zinc Metal Roofing
Metal Roofing Companies Charleston | Homeowners who live in coastal areas such as Charleston, South Carolina understand the importance of having a roof that can withstand the elements and last them longer than asphalt shingles would. Metal roofing is an ideal choice according to metal roofing companies in Charleston because of it’s incredible durability and sustainable features, but you need to know as much as possible about zinc roofing before choosing this material for your new roof.
Pros of Zinc Metal Roofing
1. Durability- Zinc is more durable than aluminum and has shown to last anywhere from sixty to one hundred years on residential homes. There’s a good chance that a zinc roof could last even longer with proper care and maintenance.
2. Sustainability- Zinc has an incredibly low toxicity level and is naturally occurring in the earth. Zinc is also non-ferrous, so there is no iron in the metal which means it takes less energy to manufacture.
3. Money–Saving- If you want your energy costs to go down, zinc roof is the right choice because it reflects the sun’s heat and reduces the energy that escapes the home. Proper insulation will also help your zinc roof lower your utility bills.
4. Self-Healing- Zinc is unique because it produces its own protective outer coating that makes it corrosion, scratch, and dent resistant. This layer is self–healing and can fix scratches from hail or debris on the roof. This also means spending less on roof maintenance!
Cons of Zinc Metal Roofing
1. Cost- Zinc is one of the most expensive metals to work with for metal roofing companies in Charleston. You can expect to spend anywhere from $600-$900 per square on zinc roofing.
2. Underside Corrosion- If the roofing isn’t correctly coated, the underside panel can become corroded, and the metal can weaken.
3. Ventilation- Metal roofing companies in Charleston will need to install adequate ventilation to your zinc roof. This adds to the cost of roof installation but gives you lasting protection in the long run.